Friday, April 3, 2009

The Turkeys are Back!

Hello everyone,

A sure sign that spring is here.... a pair of turkeys showed up in my back yard today! How exciting! Last year we had a pair and 7 babies. We watched the babies grow up through out the summer and into November. I found out that wild turkeys really like birdseed with sunflower seeds and corn. They would wait for me in the trees to come out with the food. One by one they would fly out of the trees.

Have you ever seen a turkey in a tree? It is a very strange sight indeed. This year I want to video tape their take off sequence in the backyard. Imagine 9 turkeys standing in a straight line taking off one by one, barely making it off the ground landing on the lowest branch they can find. It was especially enjoyable when the older birds taught the babies how to fly. Quite funny.

I had wondered if the turkeys were hunted for Thanksgiving last year. All 9 of the turkeys disappeared the Monday of Thanksgiving. It was hard thinking that someone ate them for dinner. So much so, that I refused to have turkey and made two chickens instead! Somehow I just could not bring myself to eat turkey after having 9 pets for 5 months.

1 comment:

  1. Billy didn't tell me why you didn't have turkey for Thanksgiving! I wouldn't want to eat it either. It sounds like they were captured and eaten, doesn't it? That is so sad. I need pictures! Joe was in the hospital while you were gone. I didn't say anything on purpose because I didn't want you to worry.

    ReplyDelete