Saturday, June 27, 2009

Goodbye My Friend

My muse for today,

My very dear friend passed away this week. A vibrant, gorgeous, loving wife and mother of two young children. This was a shock of monumental proportions. I just had coffee with her a couple days previous and were were setting up our schedules for summertime activities. Death arrived like a thief, and stole her callously away.

We had just set up our new television and stereo cabinet and laid out the new rugs. We now knew how much room we had for furniture. My daughter and I excitedly said we were going to call my friend and see when she was available to help us go and pick out new furniture. At that precise moment when we were about to call, the phone rang and we learned the news. A terrible blow.

What can anyone really say to someone who has lost their #1 go to person? Words can't seem to fill the chasm of pain and grief. At the wake last night, I tried to offer my condolences to her husband, and no words would come out. I stood there, unable to speak, my words were muted. Her husband understood, nodded and gave me a hug. I believe he understood my inability to say words that had any meaning.

What I am able to muse about here, is that while her death was a tragic loss, her life and impact on others was ALL good.

3 comments:

  1. Billy told me. I'm so sorry. This puts everything in perspective. While the celebrity addled world mourns the loss of a wacko, your friend passes with no fanfare yet all she ever did in her life was goodness. Meanwhile, the violence in Iran escalates as more peaceful protesters are killed - yet the media is too busy reporting ad nauseam about our shock over the loss of a pedophile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise I am so sorry -- I didn't realized this was so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I am Agnes -- long story. Mimi

    ReplyDelete